Thursday, April 4, 2013

Thursday readings: Mrs Zhivago of Queens Park by Olivia Lichtenstein review


In this series, I'll try to review at least one book per week, but sometimes it's gonna be more than one or there are going to be weeks when there are none.
This week I've read (or read again) the modern tale of a Mrs. Zhivago. I like books with characters I can identify with, and this is one of them. Chloe Zhivago is a 43 years old woman, married to a doctor and with two kids: Leo and Kitty (I know, riiight?). Things aren't quite right between her and her husband Greg, mainly because of the daily routine and when Chloe meets a handsome Russian named Ivan, she finds herself starting an affair with him. It seems everyone knows about it, her best friend Ruthie, her brother Sammy, her father and even her daughter is suspicious. But soon Chloe must make a decision: does she want to work on her marriage with Greg or does she want to start over with Ivan.
The reason I can relate to Chloe is that I myself am married for almost 5 years now and we've already had rough patches in our marriage, mainly work related. Did I play with a thought of having an affair? Yes, and if people were honest about it, almost everyone has at some point in a relationship. And then there's the Russian guy. My first love was a Russian and truth be told I don't think I'll ever forget about him. There's something mysterious and hidden about them, and so is Ivan from Lichtenstein's book.
Although it's a pretty serious subject, the book still remains in the chick-lit genre, with lots of amusing situations and funny lines and I found myself laughing while reading it more than once.
So, if you're a girly girl who likes chick-lit, go ahead and give this book a try!

0 comentarii:

Post a Comment

Tell Kitty what's on your mind

 

Template by Best Web Hosting